“I sometimes look out of the window and wonder just how close we’ve come to him at times. We must have been near to him at least once!” Capt. Ken Narlow speaking of The Zodiac Killer.
My Name Is. . .
Lawrence ‘Larry’ Kane is, I believe, the man behind the ‘Zodiac’ persona who terrorized San Francisco in the late 60’s and early 70’s. A somewhat egocentric man, He changed his name from Klein (birth/family name) to that of ‘Kaye’, stating He believed this to be beneficial for securing employment in his field. Kane is the name most will know, or associate with, Lawrence but Kane is not and never was His legally recognized name. Born Klein, assumed Kaye after legal Name Change, died and buried as Cane in Nevada as a Veteran, having served active duty in The US Navy during WWII. His Grave reads ‘Will Never Be Forgotten‘ and I agree, just for totally different reasons.
In the first part of this article, I will concentrate on the evidence that links Kane to The Zodiac Crimes. The second part of this article I will dedicate to Frontal Lobe Brain Injury (Kane suffered Frontal Lobe Brain Injury in a vehicle accident) and list the symptoms associated with people who have Frontal Lobe damage and show how they are extremely consistent with the known behavior of Zodiac. Most of the Evidence I present here will be Circumstantial in nature, but as one Homicide Detective stated : “Because science has made such huge advances in the latter part of the 20th Century with such things as Genetic Profiling, we see less and less cases being built on a foundation of circumstantial evidence. One or two bits of circumstantial evidence is just that, circumstance. But when you have Ten, fifteen or twenty pieces of circumstantial evidence all pointing in one direction or at one suspect, then it is no longer circumstantial and becomes simply, evidence.”
Lawrence was born Lawrence Klein on 26th April,1924 to Morris H Klein and wife, Sarah Benjamin, in Brooklyn, NY. His parents separated and divorced when Lawrence was still a teenager and Lawrence remained with his Mother. Before leaving N.Y, Klein would legally change his name from Lawrence Klein to Lawrence Kaye citing, as can be seen below, his reason for requesting name change as “Beneficial for employment in my field.” He would later use the alias Kane while in San Francisco. After leaving the Bay Area for Lake Tahoe, Kaye seems to once again change his name legally (although I can find no legal documents for this specific request for this name change) once more from Kaye to Cane. Note: For the purpose of continuity and because ‘Kane’ is the Alias that readers either recognise as or associate with Lawrence, I shall refer to him throughout the vast majority of this article as ‘Kane’.
Kane is a US Navy Veteran having served active duty in Word War II at the rank of Seaman Second Class (S2). In 1943 while in the US Navy, Kane studied basic code in Radio Material School. According to The Bureau of Naval Personnel Information Bulletin Issue of May 1943, A Naval Radioman’s job description is as follows: ‘Operates radio transmitting and receiving equipment of Naval aircraft. Maintains and cares for radio batteries. Enciphers and decipher Navy code messages. Adjusts direction finders.’
I have obtained Kane’s arrest record in full via the Freedom of Information Act, and online user Galaxy500 has dug up Kaye’s Certificate of Marriage (Later Divorced) both of which are posted below. As is evidenced, his arrest history shows a devious and cunning personality who attempts to hide his identity through use of several aliases, including: Larry Kaye. Lawrence Klein, Lawrence Barton, Larry Kane, Lawrence Kane and Larry Cane. Kane also has Four SSN’s that I have been able to discover including: 202-12-3950, 101-24-2660, 101-12-2950 and finally X50-00-2313. Also used other Aliases that are not seen in His record of Arrest such as, Lawrence Steven Klein.
Lawrence Kane’s full arrest sheet.
- Description of Zodiac in 1969 as given by Officer Don Fouke: Suspects Age: 35-45. Height: 5 ‘ 10. Weight: 180lbs. Medium Heavy Build. Barrel Chested. Light colored hair possibly greying at the rear (Note’s that lighting may have distorted this to simply appear that way). Below is a document I obtained via the Freedom of Information Act that list the features of Larry Kane:
- On July 4, 1969 around midnight, Zodiac shot Darlene Ferrin and her companion Mike Mageau at Blue Rock Springs Park in Vallejo. Approx. Forty Minutes thereafter, around 12.40 am, Vallejo Police Dpt. switch-board lit up with an incoming call that Vallejo Police Dispatcher Nancy Slover answered with the standard: “Vallejo Police Dpt…” Nancy listened to the male voice on the line as he calmly, in a quiet soft spoken tone, told her: “I want to report a double murder! If you’ll go one Mile East on Columbus Parkway to the public park, you’ll find kids in a brown car…” At this point, Slover realized this was a call relating to the incident that they had been notified of shortly prior to this man calling so Slover, believing this to be A witness calling to report the same incident, attempted to tell the caller with: “Yes, Sir, we are aware of that incident. Could I please get your name and location so that. . . ” The man cut Slover off and continued by stating: “They were shot with a 9mm Luger. I also killed those kids last year. Good-Byeeeeeeeee.” The next day newspapers printed that a witness had said the offenders vehicle was brown in colour, possibly a Corvair. Zodiac quickly writes that he is very aware of who this witness was, saying: “The man who told the police that my car was brown was a Negro about 40-45 rather shabbly dressed. When I hung the phone up the damn thing began to ring & that drew his attention to me + my car.” Zodiac was incorrect assuming that it was this man who gave a description of his car as it was actually Michael Mageau, the surviving victim, who gave the cops this info. Either way, just Five day’s after this attack, in which the color and possible make & model of Zodiac’s car were given to police, Lawrence Kane traded his car in. (Kane traded for a 1969 Ambassador # 20A468. This was verified by lease agreement with John Miles & Delta Pontiac).
- Detective Sergeant Ed Rust of the Vallejo PD, who was second unit to arrive on scene at Blue Rocks Springs, subsequently investigated the case is of the opinion that Lawrence Kane was responsible for the shooting and is the Zodiac.
- On October 11, 1969 Zodiac shot Cab driver Paul Stine dead in his Cab on a street corner in the affluent Presidio Heights area of the Richmond District in San Francisco. Three young Teenagers were having a party in the residence directly opposite and were witness to the disturbing events as they unfold. Initially believing the driver was simply being robbed, one of them picked up the phone and dialled the operator and requested they be connected with The SFPD. A few blocks away, Officers Donald Fouke and Eric Zelms were on routine patrol and had just passed Washington St Intersection when the still and quiet of the night was broken by their patrol car radio springing to life with: “All available Units please respond to report of Cab driver assault & robbery in progress at the Intersection of Washington & Cherry Streets in Pacific Heights.” (According to the Officers responding to this broadcast, and for reasons unknown, the dispatcher incorrectly gave the suspect’s description as a BMA, or Black Male Adult. This mistake would prove to have disastrous consequences.)
Officer Fouke span his cruiser around, turned onto Jackson Street, and started accelerating up the hill toward Cherry Street. One block short of Cherry, at Maple Street Intersection, Officer Fouke applied the brakes to his vehicle and slowed to a crawl. However, The SFPD Cop had not hit the brakes because of any Intersection stop sign. Patrol Officer Don Fouke had hit the brakes because his attention was grabbed by A White Male Adult seemingly lumbering, or walking rather oddly, down the hilly side-walk who was heading toward him and away from the direction of the crime scene just around the corner. At this point, the distance between the Police Car and the White Male was Approx. 75 yards, as shown below in a Street view via Google Maps.
Above: Don Fouke’s POV as he approached the Intersection. Red Z & Cross-Hair signifies suspects location.
The man spotted the approaching Police car and instantly put his head down and turned onto a driveway and approached a house. Officer Fouke, seeing that the male was White, continued on past. They didn’t know it, but at that moment, they were 75 yards away from the man who had been terrorising the Bay Area for the past 10 Months: Zodiac! This was the closest police would ever get to catching him. One month later Zodiac would write and even claim that the Officers stopped and called him over to them, whereupon he directed them uphill to go chasing shadows. Several years after the fact, Officer Don Fouke was asked to take a look at a photograph of Larry Kane. Several seconds later Fouke said: “”In the past 20 years or so I’ve been asked to look at hundreds of (suspect) photos, and of all of them, this man (Kane) is the best likeness.”
Fouke seems troubled by His encounter that ended with His not detaining the most wanted man in America that night, saying: “I think I second guessed myself that night. We should have stopped and talked to Him, but we didn’t.”
UPDATE: Having recently secured the 120 page complete report that Detective Harvey Hines had put together, it seems that Zodiac did not simply flag Paul down randomly but, as the Hines reports seems to indicate, Zodiac rang and ordered the Cab using the paypohone in Union Square. (At this point, I would like to acknowledge and say a huge thank you to Oliver Hines, Brother of the Late Harvey, for your support on what is written here and willingness to send me your Late Brothers full report. To Yourself and Destry, Thank you.)
Above: Excerpt from The Hines Report Copied & Pasted
- Zodiac often referred to his victims as “The Boy“ & “The Girl“, or by once telling Nancy Slover that they’ll find “Kids in a brown car.” The fact the killer see’s the victims, and refers to them, as Kids in The General, and Boy and Girl in the singular, would suggest he himself is not a young man, and see’s himself as an older adult.
- Det. Harvey Hines visited Linda Bowman, the sister of Victim Darlene Ferrin. Linda confirmed that her Sister was in fear of an older man and that she herself had seen him at Darlene’s work place after Darlene pointed him out. She said Darlene was extremely afraid of this man as she’d witnessed him kill another person. Harvey Hines placed 6 photographs in front of Linda and asked if she recognized any of the faces as being the man Darlene was afraid of. One of the photographs was of Kane. Linda studied them for a few seconds before she placed her hand on one of the photo’s, and pushed it to the side and said as she began to cry: “That’s him, that’s the man Darlene was afraid of.” The photo she picked out was of Larry Kane. To give her claim more credibility she further stated to Hines “I remember his smile, it was strange because it was only on one side of his face, it was like the one side was completely frozen.” It is important to point out here that the photo Harvey had of KANE was a mug shot photo and Kane was not smiling in this photo so Hines recalls there is no way she could have accurately described this facial paralysis unless she had seen Kane previously and observed him smile. This is absolutely known to be how Kane smiled after the effects Brain Injury He suffered left him Partial paralysis down one side, as can clearly be seen in His drivers licence photo below:
- In Zodiac’s ‘My Name Is’ Cipher, an anagram of ‘Name Kane’ can be deciphered.
Above: The opening lines of the ‘My Name Is’ Cipher/Letter. The first four letters are AENK, an anagram of KANE. There are also three circles with the number Eight in each one. 3 x 8 = 24. KANE was born in 1924.
- Lawrence Kane served active duty for the US Naval reserves in 1943 (WWII). He also attended radio material school in the same year, which would have given him basic knowledge of coded messages.
- It has been suggested that Darlene Ferrin was involved with a cult and that she had allegedly seen a man murder someone and as such was very afraid of this mystery man. The Occult angle has never been proven nor disproved. However, what we can say is accurate is this: When Detectives in Tahoe visited Kane to speak with him about this case, The Detective asked, and Kane gave consent, for them to carry out a very brief search of his residence. As such, one of the detectives noticed Kane had quite a number of books and two titles that He memorized were ‘Encyclopedia of Witchcraft’ and ‘Demonology.’ After observing these book, the detective asked Kane why He had these books and Kane denied having any interest in or knowledge of Witchcraft, demonology or any occult related topics.
- Despite Kane denying any interest in demonology the very last conversation Harvey Hines had with Kane could suggest a contempt for the divine. Harvey asked Kane “Well Larry, your fixing to die soon, wouldn’t now be a good time to confess?” Kane replied: “To what?” HH: “To being the Zodiac Killer?” LK: silence for several seconds then. . “If I did, what would be in it for me?” HH: “To Make peace with your maker before you die.” LK: “NO! I DONT THINK SO!” Kane then hung up. It appears that the idea of a confession to appease his maker made Kane angry and repulsed.
- Paul Stine, the cab driver murdered by Zodiac, is thought to have picked up his killer somewhere in the vicinity of Mason & Geary Streets (This is based on the price the cabs meter had stopped at when found.) Larry Kane lived at 217 Eddy street, 0.3 miles and six-minute walk away from Mason and Geary.
- Kathleen John, along with her baby, were abducted and driven around deserted streets for hours with her abductor telling her he is going to kill her. Miss Johns jumps from the car when it slows at an intersection. Zodiac made reference in his next letter to a woman and her baby that he’d given a rather interesting ride to. Miss Johns later was shown an 18 picture line up and picked out Larry Kane as her abductor, and in doing so, because of Zodiac’s brag in his letter, identified Kane as The Zodiac.
- In 1991, Vallejo Police Dpt. announced they had re-opened their investigation into the Zodiac and say their reason for doing so is “A suspect, Larry Kaye, has been developed.” Vallejo PD also state in this document: “Investigation has placed Kaye (AKA Kane) in the locales where several of the Zodiac’s victims either lived, or were killed.”
- Destry Hines, son of the late Detective Harvey Hines, has been kind enough to send me copies of Latent fingerprints lifted from Bryan Hartnell’s vehicle. I am posting these with Destry’s full blessing and knowledge. Again Destry, really do appreciate you taking time to email me these.
At Lake Berryessa, a few hours before and in the same vicinity as Zodiac would later attack and stab Bryan Hartnell & Cecelia Shepard, Three girls sunbathing report seeing a man watching them from the top of the small hill. They stated that every time they looked at him, he would look away. They described him as around 40 years of age. Good Looking. 5′ 10 to 6′ tall. Brown hair. Stocky build with a round face. In two of the articles below that Kaye is the focus of, the writers refer to Kaye as ‘The Handsome
Suspect’ and ‘Handsome and Flashy’
A big thank you goes to online user Galaxie500 for discovering the three articles below:
Below: A rare occasion in which Kaye uses and is referred to as Lawrence Barton..
- On Sept 6, 1970 25 year old Donna Lass left her place of employment at the Sahara Tahoe Hotel, where she worked as a Nurse, and simply disappeared. Six Months after Donna went missing, a post-card was sent to the San. Fran. Chronicle that seemed to indicate that the Zodiac had ‘Sought Victim 12’ down in South Lake Tahoe and the only person that authorities were aware of that the card could be referring to was Donna Lass. The post-card came signed with the cross-hair symbol, by now the known symbol of Zodiac.
The morning after Donna went missing, an unidentified male called both Donna’s employer and landlord to inform them that Donna had left town briefly due to a family emergency. If this were the man responsible for Donna’s disappearance (It is logical to assume that the caller was the person responsible for her disappearance simply because at this point, no one is aware that Donna is even missing. There would only be one person that could know Donna was not coming back and that is the person responsible for her disappearance. Also, what other motive would an unidentified male have for calling Donna’s employer and lying to them in an attempt to buy time before anyone may raise the alarm that she is missing?) then this suggests that the person responsible likely knew Donna, or was familiar with her at the very least, in order for him to know both where she worked and where she lived. At the time, Lawrence Kane was selling Real Estate out of an Office in The Sahara Tahoe Hotel, an Office just down the hall from Donna Lass’s work station. Colleagues of Donna, when asked by Harvey Hines, said that Donna and Kane knew each other.
- Donna Lass had resided in San Francisco prior to moving to Lake Tahoe, and was employed at Letterman General Hospital which is located on the grounds of the Presidio of San Francisco, right in the vicinity of where Zodiac shot Paul Stine and the last known direction Zodiac was observed heading. Another point of interest is not only did both Lass and Kane move to Lake Tahoe and, as stated above, end up working in the same building as the other, but they both left San Francisco for Lake Tahoe at the same time as each other, in June of 1970.
- A circumstantial argument can be made that Kane & Lass were known to each other prior to June of 1970 based on the known facts above. Also, if we assume that Zodiac is responsible for Donna’s disappearance & murder then why not write & declare as such directly? Previously, Zodiac wrote a second letter detailing the Lake Herman Scene when Police publicly questioned the writers claims & in the case of Paul Stine Zodiac sent proof with his bragging confession letter in the form of swatches of Paul’s blood soaked shirt that he ripped from Paul’s body. Is it possible that Zodiac doesn’t claim victim 12 & tell police where he killed her & where she can be found as he’d done with his previous victims because he knew this victim? If he knew Donna & admitted to his, The Zodiac, being responsible for her disappearance & murder then he would know that this would almost certainly result in police wanting to question him as a person who knew Miss Lass. If he knew Donna, it isn’t in his own interest to directly offer that He, The Zodiac, is the person responsible.
- Sunday, April 27th, 1974 10:36pm: Red Rock Canyon, Las Vegas, NV. Dana Lull and Boyfriend Roy Norman Tophigh are sat out on a local lovers lane just West of Charleston Blvd. A second vehicle pulls in behind theirs and illuminates the young couple who are now almost blinded by the sudden bright and overpowering beams of light aimed directly on them, and hear the door of this second vehicle open. A man appeared and had a gun pointed at them. Roy didn’t wait to see what the armed man wanted, fleeing instantly from the Vehicle and hiding in a ditch at the roadside where He watched helplessly as the armed man forced Dana from Her vehicle and into His before driving away. Roy got a good look at the abductors vehicle and quickly dashed to get help. Dana’s car was still in position when police arrived but there was no sign of Dana confirming to authorities that Roy had observed her being abducted. This was Roy’s description of the suspects vehicle: White Sports Car. Convertible. Black cloth top. Wire Spoke Wheels. Chrome luggage rack on trunk. Missing grill and Old California Licence Plate. At that time, Lawrence Kane drove a White 1966 MG Sport Car. Convertible. Black Cloth Top. Wire Spoked Wheels. Chrome Luggage rack on the trunk with Missing Grill and had Old California Plates (TDY274)
- The description of Dana’s abductor given by Tophigh, matches Lawrence Kane. A month after Lull’s abduction, Tophigh reported to police that he had seen her abductor in The Spring Inn Nightclub, but he had fled before police arrived. According to Alan Dorfman, Kane’s former employer, Kane frequented The Spring Inn Night Club In Las Vegas.
- Dana Lull’s body was discovered in a mine shaft on Mountain Springs Road in San Bernardino County, CA. Kane, at the time of this incident, lived on Spring Mountain Road in Las Vegas. (Could this be a perverted hint Kane was giving?)
- One day after Zodiac’s first cipher was claimed to be solved, someone sent a letter to the chronicle that contained a ‘Key’ to unlock the cipher, and gave an explanation in detail how it could be done. The FBI then applied this solution (key) to the cipher sent by Zodiac, and found it to be ” substantially accurate”. The letter that contained the key was simply signed, ‘With best wishes, Concerned Citizen’. He signs it ‘Concerned Citizen’, a reference, in my opinion, to Citizen Kane.’
- As a favour to Harvey Hines, Detectives in Tahoe agreed to visit Lawrence Kane, now calling himself Cane, at his residence at Round Hill Village in Zephyr Cove and question him regarding the Zodiac crimes. Detectives had a brief discussion with Cane and before they left asked Cane if he would be willing to give them a sample of his writing. He did. He wrote his name, address, mothers name and two lines from known Zodiac letters. Cane’s address was ‘408 McFaul Way, Round Hill Village, Zephyr Cove, NV.’ One of Zodiacs Ciphers is, to this day, referred to as ‘The 408 Cipher’ due to the number of letters/symbols it contains.
Above: Kane/Cane’s writing ‘sample.’ Some use the example above to try and ‘prove’ Kane/Cane isn’t Zodiac because the handwriting does not match. I have no argument on the writing not matching Zodiac’s, however, when they asked Cane to provide this sample of handwriting, they did so directly after questioning him about The Zodiac crimes. So, Cane knowing why they were there and asking him direct questions relating to Zodiac, he’s now likely to go out of his way to disguise his handwriting. To me, and I realise I may be biased in saying this, but his handwriting above looks forced and unnatural and several independent people I have spoken with previously also state they are of the same opinion.
Auto Accident and Traumatic Brain Injury.
“The frontal lobes of the brain make us more human and less animal. When injury occurs, the balance between intellectual and animal propensity is destroyed.” Steven Igou, founder of BrainInjury.com
In 1962, Kane was involved in an auto accident that saw his vehicle slam head on into a cement truck. Kane was rushed to hospital where he underwent emergency life saving Cranioplasty to relieve pressure/swelling on the Brain and also to repair part of his skull. It was subsequently discovered that Kane had badly damaged the Left Frontal Lobe of his brain.
The following information is quoted directly from Brain Injury Institute.Org:
The frontal lobe controls motor skills like hand/eye coordination, conscious thought, emotions, and even your personality. As a result of a brain injury, frontal lobe damage may impair your attention span, motivation, judgment, and organizational capacity. Because your emotions are affected, the symptoms you experience from frontal lobe damage may manifest causing you to become impulsive or assume risky behaviors. On mental state examination a person with frontal lobe damage may show reduced speech, with reduced verbal fluency and impaired expressive language. Difficulty in inhibiting emotions, anger, excitement, sadness etc. Occasionally, difficulty in understanding others’ points of view, leading to anger and frustration. Inappropriate aggression & Inappropriate humour. Loss of inhibition can cause inappropriate social actions manifested as argumentative, vulgar or euphoric behaviour.
People with inhibition loss may repeat what they say and show no regard for the consequences of their actions. Damage to the middle of the front lobe may affect the ability to move the eyes and interfere with speech. The ability to carry out complex movements in sequence may also be disrupted. The back of the frontal lobe controls voluntary movements. Specialists ranging from physical therapists to psychologists are involved in rehabilitation from frontal lobe injuries. Paralysis: Differing degrees of paralysis can affect all parts of the body depending on which part of the brain has been injured. Effects can include poor coordination, difficulty walking, visual difficulties or weakness on one side of the body.
So, why have I highlighted the part about speech and movement being affected by Frontal Lobe Damage? Well, to answer that, let’s first look at what the people who spoke to Zodiac said, if anything, about the way he spoke. Nancy Slover, the dispatcher who answered the call placed by Zodiac, said: “Could distinguish no trace of accent in voice. Subject seemed to be reading or had rehearsed what he was saying. Subject spoke in an even, consistent voice.” When she was asked to recount the call for an episode of Mystery-Quest, Slover stated: “He (Zodiac) spoke in a monotone.” This is consistent with the above statement of ‘A person with frontal lobe damage may show reduced speech, with reduced verbal fluency.’
Surviving Victim Bryan Hartnell, who had engaged Zodiac in a lengthy conversation before being attacked and stabbed by him, had this to say about the masked intruders speech: “He (Zodiac) had a precise cadence to his voice. Not an accent, but his speech was very slow and measured and had a real distinctive tone about it. I told the police that if I ever heard that Voice again that I’d recognize it”. (Cadence: A balanced Rhythm or flow, such as words or poetry. An inflection of the voice.) Click the link to see Bryan Hartnell describing the speech of The Zodiac: https://youtu.be/HI0jnsbZwys?t=59m25s
What about the Gait or general movement of the Suspect as described by Officer Fouke and witness/victim Mike Mageau? Do we have any reason or evidence to suggest Zodiac’s limb function may have been inhibited? SFPD Patrol Officer Don Fouke recalls the suspect he saw on Jackson Street by stating that: “You could say he sort of looked down…. Perhaps this lumbering gait, stumbling along like a semi limp.”. In his original memo, of which is a cropped excerpt below, Officer Fouke recalled:
““Subject at no time appeared to be in a hurry and walked with a shuffling lope, slightly bent forward with head down.”
You can see Officer Don Fouke speking about the suspect’s very odd and unnatural way of walking here:https://youtu.be/HI0jnsbZwys?t=1h26m37s
Michael Mageau stated in the first post crime report, given at the hospital, that the suspect emptied his gun into Himself and Dee, and walked back to his vehicle to reload. He specifically makes mention here in his statement that the shooter seemed in no rush at all, and walked slowly back to his car with his head down and looking at the floor.
Above: “Surprisingly, he walked slowly and with his head down. He was of stocky build and short, about 5 feet 8,”
To summarize the speech/language and Movement/Gait problems seen in Fronal Impaired Patients, here is a very brief, yet to the point, summing up by a Neurosurgeon for HeadInjury UK:
Judgement, Awareness and Appropriate Response .
Zodiac seemed to hang around the cab after he had just shot and killed it’s driver for a excessive amount of minutes either in a sheer arrogant belief that the authorities would never catch him no matter what, which would be utterly foolhardy and stupid to do or, alternatively, he was not able to recognise the immediate danger of apprehension nor assess the seriousness of his situation due to Brain Injury. Frontal Lobe damage can cause someone to lose their impulse control and impair their ability to react appropriately to the situation at hand. So an offender may act out impulsively and then be unable to react appropriately to that impulsive act. Sometimes visual/audible cue’s are needed to kickstarts the response such as hearing a police siren, seeing a car’s lights in the distance, etc. Here’s Harvey Jacobs, PhD explaining in the following link:
Multi-Tasking becomes a literal impossibility & the person can only focus on one thing at a time so that, in this instance, the removal of his prints from in and exterior of the cab becomes all consuming for his focus until maybe an audible cue like Armond activating his siren distracts the Zodiac’s attention and he realises this is now the priority.
The Zodiac only reacted to the Police Car when it was presented right in front of him and he seemed almost to panic and turned and took the closest available route to avoid the oncoming cop car by ascending the steps to a property. Prior to this, it was as if this guy had no concept or ability to assess the risk of his own possible capture, not until the visual cue of Don and Eric’s police car presented itself. Here is a clip entitled ‘Traumatic Brain Injury Symptoms.’ Of extreme importance & relevance are the listed symptoms of: ‘Difficulty concentrating’ as was evidenced in the minutes after Zodiac shot Paul Stine. ‘Incoordination of Movement, loss of balance; difficulty walking.’ This clearly matches the suspect observed by Fouke who Fouke recalled was shuffling or lurching/lumbering rather than walking normally. ‘Slurred and/or slow speech.’ Hartnell: “He had a precise cadence to his voice…..Very slow and measured way of speaking. Nancy Slover: “Subject spoke in an even and consistent voice. Monotone sounding like he was either reading what he was saying, or had reheardsed it.” Link: https://youtu.be/Ppv4NFowqkM
There is a philosophy I like to use in the form of a saying, and it goes: “If it looks like a lion, roars like a lion, and acts exactly like a lion then it’s probably likely to be….. a lion! Now there will always be them that will demand a DNA test be peformed before they accept that this roaring beast is, in fact, a lion. In Law Courts, the standard you need to get to and/or beyond when reaching a verdict as to someones guilt is ‘Beyond a reasonable doubt.’ Key word being ‘Reasonable.’ While my level of what may be deemed as reasonable doubt may be different to the next person in the specifics, the all round general threshold of reasonable doubt will likely be similar for the majority of people.
When all the known facts and stats seem fit and match as with the analogy of the lion, then there’s a more than reasonable chance, Zodiac and Kane are one and the same
Another point that cannot be overlooked is the fact that if we are to believe Zodiac and assume his destination on that night really was Julius Kahn Park on the grounds of The Presidio then the obvious question has to be: Why not use the entrance at the top of Cherry Street to disappear into the Presidio? Why would He ignore this far more convenient and closer escape option in favour of staying on the side-walk under street lights where any number of citizens can see him and police car approach? Why doesn’t he just use the pathway at Cherry? Its the same walkway through into the Presidio that He is going to use at Maple, the only difference in the two is Cherry Street’s entrance is far closer and offer much quicker escape into the darkness than Maple would. Is he again focused on Maple so exclusively that it is to the exclusion of all other possibilities even when He must know police are responding because Armond Pelissetti stated that the when the radio broadcast was issued for Officers to respond to a cab driver being robbed and/or possibly assaulted at ashington & Cherry Streets Intersection that: We (Himself and his patrol partner Frank Peda), fortunately, were close by and responded to that corner and were able to do so with Red light and Siren at 9:55 at night and got there very quickly.” Zodiac as He leaves the cab and walks off down Cherry street making good his escape simply would have to hear the sirens that are closing in on that area so to ignore the offer of instant cover of darknes and open expanse of ground with much foliage on offer preferring to stay on the street instead where the Blue Meanies responding in a fleet of their prowl cars can see him which will likely result in his arrest makes no clear or logical sense at all if you are functioning with a full and healthy mental capacity.
My point here is, anyone with an ability to recognize imminent danger would not hesitate to change their planned route if they had the ability to do so. He himself declared that ‘Police shall never catch me because I have been too clever for them.” Well half of that statement is accurate in that police never caught him, but it was anything but his own cleverness to avoid capture that allowed him to remain at large. In reality He presented himself on a silver platter for The SFPD that night and walked straight into a police cars headlights. It was good luck, not judgement, that allowed him to slip away.
In Psychopathy, Disinhibition is defined as: Poor impulse control including problems with planning and foresight, lacking affect and urge control, demand for immediate gratification, and poor behavioral restraints. Similar to PCL-R Factor 2 and PPI Impulsive antisociality. May correspond to impairments in frontal lobe systems that are involved in such control.
In patients disinhibited behaviour is accompanied by irritability, egocentrism, childishness, stubbornness aswell as tactless, aggressive and abusive behavior.”
Zodiac shows these traits over and over again in his letters. Here are just a few examples:
- Egocentric: “The police shall never catch me because I have been too clever for them”
- Egocentric: “The reason I’m writing to the Times is this, They don’t bury me on the back pages like some of the others.”
- Egocentric: “Like I have always said, I am crack proof. If the Blue Meannies are ever going to catch me, they had best get off their fat asses + do something.”
- Egocentric & Childish: “I enjoy needling the blue pigs. Hey blue pig I was in the park — you were using fire trucks to mask the sound of your cruzeing (sic) prowl cars.”
- Childishness: “Hey pig doesn’t it rile you up to have your nose rubbed in your booboos?”
- Tactless: “In answer to your asking for more details about the good times I have had in Vallejo, I shall be very happy to supply even more material.”
- Irritability: “I have grown rather angry with the police for their telling lies about me.”
- Aggressive & abusive: “PS. If I do not see this note in your paper, I will do something nasty, which you know I’m capable of doing.”
Above: Two greeting cards sent by Zodiac with the captions ‘From your secret Pal’ and ‘Sorry to hear your ass is a dragon’, both showing the senders childish and tactless humour.
In psychology, disinhibition is a lack of restraint manifested in several ways, including disregard for social conventions, impulsivity, and poor risk assessment. Disinhibition affects motor, instinctual, emotional, cognitive, and perceptual aspects with signs and symptoms similar to the diagnostic criteria for mania. Disinhibition is a process, of whatever aetiology, which results in an individual having a reduced capacity to edit or manage their immediate impulsive response to a situation. Disinhibition is a common symptom following a physical injury to the brain, particularly to the frontal lobe and primarily to the orbitofrontal cortex.
“Patients with frontal lobe damage exhibit little spontaneous facial expression, which points to the role of the frontal lobes in facial expression (Kolb & Milner, 1981). Broca’s Aphasia, or difficulty in speaking, has been associated with frontal damage by Brown (1972). An interesting phenomenon of frontal lobe damage is the insignificant effect it can have on traditional IQ testing. Researchers believe that this may have to do with IQ tests typically assessing convergent rather than divergent thinking. Frontal lobe damage seems to have an impact on divergent thinking, or flexibility and problem solving ability. There is also evidence showing lingering interference with attention and memory even after good recovery from a TBI (Stuss et al., 1985).”
Apraxia & Ataxia
Rate/Rhythm Control Treatment For Apraxia of Speech.
Rate- and rhythm-control treatments, such as metronomic pacing and metrical pacing, involve manipulation of rate and/or rhythm to improve speech production or reduce symptoms of AOS. Rhythmic-control treatments usually have involved slowing the rate of speech production in speakers who already exhibit a reduced production rate.
Metronomic Pacing Treatment.
In metronomic pacing, the speaker produces speech at the rate of one syllable or movement per beat of a metronome. Typically, the beat has been set at a rate significantly slower than the speaker’s habitual rate of speech.
Again, as with Apraxia, Ataxia is common symptom seen in people with damage to the frontal hemisphere of the brain. It is defined as: A a non-specific clinical manifestation implying dysfunction of the parts of the brain that coordinate movement. Individuals with cerebellar ataxia could also display instability of gait, difficulty with eye movements, dysarthria, dysphagia,hypotonia, dysmetria and dysdiadochokinesia. These deficits can vary depending on which cerebellar structures have been damaged, and whether the lesion is bilateral or unilateral. As the condition progresses, walking is characterized by a widened base and high stepping, as well as staggering and lurching from side to side.
Fouke’s memo: “Subject at no time appeared in a hurry and walked with a shuffling lope.” On camera he recalled the suspect had: “Lumbering gait, stumbling along with a semi type limp.”
Lawrence Kane, aka Lawrence Cane died on May 20, 2010 at the age of 86 in Nevada. Kane was laid to rest in Northern Nevada’s Veteran Cemetery.
Here is a link to his death and burial details: http://www.locategrave.org/l/3693261/Lawrence-Cane-NV
Above: Cane’s Grave. His epitaph that state’s ‘Will Never Be Forgotten’ is in reference to his Navy service during WWII. It’s ironic that his grave should state this, because I too will never forget Lawrence Cane, just not for the same reason.
So, can i tell you i know for fact Lawrence Kane was The Zodiac? No. Would i advise readers to dismiss all other suspects based on the above article and my opinions? Certainly not. I shall borrow the words of A Leading Forensic Odontologist who, when speaking of The 1930’s ‘Mad Trapper ‘ Case and the failure to Establish His True Identity after exhumation at the turn of the 21st Century said:
“It’s a Forensic Reality that some cases remain Unsolved. Now in this Case (of The Mad Trapper and His Identity) it’s a Mystery, and it’s a Legend.”
The Documentary Narrator’s voice then spoke to acknowledge “Even in Death, the fugitive who appeared out of nowhere, may have succeeded in Keeping His True Identity from us….. Forever.” Then the Documentary ended with the words of a Forensic Tissues expert as she smiled at the camera and said: “Perhaps this is just how it’s meant to be. He (The Trapper) is certainly still one step ahead of us even now all these years later in Keeping His Identity from all of us.”
Me Personally, No, I don’t like the idea of Him getting away with murder. No, it doesn’t sit well with me that His case has the attached label ‘Unsolved.’ And Yes, it saddens and angers me at times that after almost Half a Century now, there is no Justice for The Victims. But maybe I can learn to be OK with this case being a mystery also because, as the experts pointed out after failing to discover The Trappers Identity via DNA Compared to all 12 of the accepted credible suspects, that it is just meant to be that way.
Many many thanks to:
Me. I am clearly brilliant and also Welsh. Statement of Accuracy and an irrefutable Fact supported by Mountains of solid evidence And I am also, I hope readers immediately suspected, just joking! Lol, it seems I have a keen sense of humor.
Seriously though the following people I have to acknowledge & thank for. . .
Sandy Betts, without you and your help I don’t know Id ever have got the arrest record released via the FOIA. Your help with this and other things I am extremely grateful, so thank you.
Oliver Hines, your willingness to contact me and send me Harvey’s full 120 page report is a gesture I cannot thank you enough for. To have your approval on what is written here means everything to me and makes all the effort and researching worth it.
Destry Hines, again, to have your support and nod of approval in my attempt to keep your Fathers legacy alive means more than words can express.
In July of 2015 two positive things happened. The First, Harvey Hines Brother, Oliver, came across Harvey’s full and complete 120 page report on the Zodiac Case and Suspect Lawrence Kane & took time to upload and send the entire report to myself for which, Oliver, I appreciate beyond words.
The Second Positive? My most recent FOIA came back in which I had asked for the release of any and or all suspects listed in the document (seen below) when the privacy laws and Data Protection Act no longer are applicable to them (ie…They are deceased.) There are Nine listed redacted Named suspects in the original public release, now, for the first time and exclusively, here are three of these names….
CAMILO ROMERO, DOB: 12-15-38
WILLARD WATTS, DOB: 7-10-24
HENRY WILKINS, DOB: 8-22-17
PS, If clicking the above document does not allow readers to see the names clearly then Email me and i’ll send a cropped excerpt or full page re-size version to reader via email.
Update: Watch this Space. . .
In December of 2015, I sent a third Freedom of Information Request asking for the redacted name that appears in an FBI file to be released, a name that the document states is the name of a person who was Identified as the murderer of Paul Lee Stine and ID’d by none other than a witness at the scene in Presidio Heights. Below is a copy I received from the DOJ in reply to my original request in which they released the name or Robert Hale West, a named suspect in the same document but not the suspect ID’d by witness:
I noted in the request that this will be the Third FOIA I have submitted asking for this name to be released and asked that if it be determined that the Privacy Law is still applicable (Which means suspect redacted is still alive) and is therefore not eligible for public release, could they please inform me that this is the case.
Credit where Credit is due, instead of the Automated Email response, The San Francisco Chief FOI Officer, Mr David P. Sobonya, personally replied to myself via Email acknowledging receiving the request and said He personally assures me that this Request will be assigned a FOIPA Officer and, whatever the outcome, the FBI will send me a response notification via Post.
Let’s just hope it’s in the form of a document with the name no longer whited out and not a letter declaring the FOIPA Officer determined this named person is not eligible for public release. So…..Watch This Space!
UPDATE: June 7th, 2016…
The above FOIA has been successful in getting the name and address of the man that a witness Identified as possibly responsible for Paul Stine’s murder. As seen below, the man Identified was Xenophon (Misspelled in the Document) L. Anthony, 3218 Jackson Street.
It is of interest to note that Fouke described the WMA He saw as aged 35 – 45, Anthony would have been 38 in 1969.
Don Fouke commended for ‘Brave Actions’
Quotations. . .
“I sometimes look out of the window and wonder just how close we’ve come to him at times. We rattled so many cages and kicked so many bushes along the way. We must have been near to him at least once!” Capt. Ken Narlow.
“I can never get away from Zodiac, and I don’t think I ever will. It’s become part of my life both on and off duty. I still consider the Zodiac case the most frustrating case of my entire career.” Insp. Dave Toschi.
“He is obviously an intelligent individual. He knows that eventually he will be taken into custody. So it would be best that he give himself up before tragedy is written in blood.” Attorney General Thomas C. Lynch.
“The police shall never catch me because I have been too clever for them.” Zodiac.
In Memory: SFPD Patrol Officer Eric Zelms.
I often find myself wishing for the sake of Eric Zelms, that on the night of Oct. 11,1969 there was no blunder in Suspect Description as Black instead of White Male. The reason for this is simple: Had Don and Eric been aware the man they were looking for was A White Guy then maybe, just maybe, when you mention the name of Eric Zelms today, people would have respond with “Officer Eric Zelms…. Yes I know, He was the Rookie SFPD Cop that caught the Infamous Zodiac Killer wasn’t He?” Sadly though, this was not meant to be.
Ships in the Night…
Eric had no way of knowing it, but at the moment He and Don Fouke sailed by The Most Wanted man in America, like Ships passing on the calm waves of a moonlit Night, He, sadly, has less than three months left to live.
After coming face to face with a cold hearted and Armed Zodiac killer and surviving without a scratch, It seems almost anti-climactic that on New Years Day of 1970, Officer Zelms responded to a routine burglary alone (his partner was said to be answering the call of nature) and arrived at given location to discover that it was Two of them, One of him. A struggle ensued, Eric was overpowered, and his service revolver wrestled away from him. Then, without mercy, Eric Zelms was shot and killed on the sidewalk of a busy street with his own service issued revolver. He was just 22 years old.
Rest in Peace, Officer Eric A. Zelms.
Officer Down Memorial Page, Eric Zelms: http://www.odmp.org/officer/14665-officer-eric-a-zelms
FIAT JUSTITIA RUAT CAELUM!
Above: A Latin Legal Maxim which has a literal English translation meaning ‘Let Justice be Done, Though the Heavens Fall.‘ The Maxim signifies a belief that no matter the circumstances and/or the consequences, justice must be done even if the Heavens have to fall as a result.
No matter who Zodiac is/was, Kane or another, I hope one day soon that Justice is found for David Faraday, Betty-Lou Jensen, Darlene Ferrin, Celelia Shepard & Paul Stine so that after almost half a Century in Waiting, they can finally rest in peace.
Page created and Authored by Alex Lewis.
I can be contacted via email at: WelshChappie@aol.com (Note: Please put the subject of your email as RE: LAWRENCE KANE).
Thanks for stopping by.